Sunday, 6 October 2013

Five ideas for...crafting with buttons

Welcome to my new series of posts where I'll be sharing my favourite uses and crafts for using up those materials in the craft stash that we don't know what to do with. This first post post has taken a bit of planning as I wanted to show you the makes in practise rather than just collating a list from around the Internet (although I do also have a themed Pinterest board for further ideas you are looking for more inspiration). 
Miss Chaela Boo - Five ideas for crafting with buttonsThis first post is all about buttons! These wonderful little things stop us falling out of a our clothes and embarrassing ourselves but they are also great for crafting. Every crafter has a button stash and I know that sometimes we just want to hoard them in pretty jars and never use them. My button collection comprises of buttons snipped off old cardigans, charity shop finds and a lot of 500 buttons that I bought from Ebay. I've already got my eye on the green button attached to a pair of trousers I only bought yesterday! Anyway, in order that I don't become a crazy button lady I thought is was time I started using up some of the stash. Then I can buy some more?

1. Button Greeting Card

This is a really quick and easy make but will take a little time for the glue to day. Start by very lightly drawing your shape on to the card in pencil, you won't be able to rub it out once the buttons are glued on so make sure it's barely visible. I chose a heart shape but a number for a birthday or letter of someone's name would look great too. 
Miss Chaela Boo - Five ideas for crafting with buttons - button heart card
Use craft glue or PVA to glue the buttons in place. Start with the largest buttons and fill the gaps in with the smallest ones. If you have a few small beads you can use them to fill the even small gaps. Leave to dry flat. 

2. Button covered notebook

Using the same technique as the card, starting with the largest buttons. Glue onto the cover of a sturdy note book. I chose to cover my little black sketch book which now looks a lot less boring.
Miss Chaela Boo - Five ideas for crafting with buttons - button covered notebook

3. Button charm bracelet

To turn your buttons into a charm bracelet you'll need a length of charm chain, jump rings (for attaching the buttons to the chain), a clasp and some buttons. You'll also need two pairs of small pliers to open and close the jump rings. You'll find all the supplies in Hobbycraft but with a bit of detective work Ebay is a great source materials and tools. Go simple with just a few buttons or load up the chain for more impact.
Miss Chaela Boo - Five ideas for crafting with buttons - button charm bracelet

4. Cord button bracelet

This bracelet involves threading buttons onto cord or elastic. See Anna's button bracelet DIY for a pretty elasticated version. If using non-elasticated cord, like me, you'll need to make a loop at one end of the cord which you can slip over the button at the other end to fasten. Make the loop before you start threading the buttons!
Miss Chaela Boo - Five ideas for crafting with buttons - cord button bracelet

5. Crochet button garland

I love this DIY. It's a very basic crochet project involving a crochet chain with buttons incorporated along the length. The buttons are threaded on to the yarn before starting to crochet and are worked into the chain at regular intervals to make a beautiful simple garland. I'll bring the full tutorial for this make later in the month.
Miss Chaela Boo - Five ideas for crafting with buttons - crochet button garland
So that's my top five uses for buttons. With a bit of glue you can embellish almost anything with buttons and the possibilities are endless. Do visit my 'Button Love' Pinterest board for lots more buttony goodness and if you've got a button craft idea leave me your link in the comments so we can all come and see!

Now it's been a little while but I'm heading over to Handmade Monday. Won't you join me?

13 comments:

  1. What lovely ideas. I particulary like the button card and notebooks. Very effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, super quick and easy (apart from the drying time!) :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely ideas, these all look super easy, so would be good for me to use when asked to provide quick workshop makes. Thanks for posting. x Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, hadn't thought of using them for workshops. :)

      Delete
  3. Welcome to blogging, its a great way to chat to people and find out what they think of your ideas. I love the button card, I've got loads of buttons at home, I just rarely use them in my crafting. They look pretty though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how buttonlicious! I love the button card, really pretty and the bracelets are a fantastic idea. Thanks for sharing.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and how did I not think of using 'buttonlicious'?! x

      Delete
  5. The colours on the button bracelet are gorgeous! What is it about buttons that we love so much?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are adorable aren't they? I love buttons, but some people have phobia of buttons. How can that be? :(

      Delete
  6. Love these ideas. I particularly like the way you have used little beads to fill up the spaces. Great ideas. I am also a little in love your dotty buttons :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love my dotty buttons, a present from a lovely friend. x

      Delete
  7. I do love buttons, and you are right I have a big stash of them!!! I keep meaning to make a button necklace- you have inspired me to go and have a go:)

    ReplyDelete